Device Management Application
Device Management Application
Device Management Application Installation
- Your child’s/ward’s PLD will be installed with a Device Management Application (DMA) to provide a safer digital environment for learning.
- Installation of the DMA will be performed after the collection of the device. Students will be guided on the installation.
- This applies to both devices purchased through the school and pre-existing student-owned devices.
- The DMA will be funded by MOE and will be uninstalled from the device when your child/ward graduates/leaves the school.
In-School DMA Settings (Default)
Schools will determine DMA settings for in-school use. As a default, these settings will continue to be in place after school as well:
- MOE and the school will set the level of web content filtering, including filtering out objectionable content or content that may not be conducive to teaching and learning (e.g. social media, pornography, gambling, or websites containing extremist content)
- Students will be able to use the device from <06.00 a.m. to 11 p.m.> (to be decided by the school) daily
- The school will determine the apps and programs to be installed to support teaching and learning
Providing Parents/Guardians with Greater Choice for After-School PLD Use
|Default||Option A||Option B|
|In-school DMA settings will continue after school hours||Parents/Guardians can modify the DMA settings after school hours||Parents/Guardians can choose to disable DMA after school hours|
|For parents/guardians who want their child’s/ward’s use of the devices to be restricted only to teaching and learning, and prefer to leave it to the school to decide on DMA settings after school hours.||For parents/guardians who want more leeway over the use of the device, and prefer to take charge of the level of restrictions for their child’s/ward’s use of the device after school hours||For parents/guardians who do not want their child’s/ward’s use of the device to be regulated by DMA after school.|
- Having default school settings continue after school hours is the best option for parents/guardians who prefer not to, or do not feel ready to manage their child’s/ward’s device use on their own.
- Parents/guardians can request to change their choice of DMA settings at any time
No data will be collected during use of PLD after school hours
* Screen time limits set by the school will override parents’/guardians’ settings during school hours.
Deciding on the Choice of After-School DMA Option
Parents/guardians may wish to consider the following questions before deciding on the choice of after-school DMA option which is best for your child’s/ward’s learning.
Child’s/ward’s current device usage habits
- How much time does my child/ward spend on their device?
- How well is my child/ward able to regulate their device usage on their own?
- Does my child/ward get easily distracted while doing online learning?
- How confident and familiar am I with managing my child’s/ward’s cyber wellness?
- Are there existing routines and open conversations on the use of the Internet at home?
- Am I aware of how to prevent different types of cyber threats that my child/ward might face?
Data Collected by the DMA
The DMA does NOT collect any of the following data:
- Login IDs and passwords entered into websites or into any applications
- Actions performed (e.g. posts, online comments, items added to a shopping cart, etc.) when visiting websites and using apps
- Documents and photos stored in the PLDs
- PLD location
- Webcam videos and microphone recordings