Will the use of ICT improve my daughter's academic results?
How often will the device be used in class? Will it be used for all subjects?
How will the device be used during lessons?
Will my daughter be distracted from learning?
Will the use of ICT affect handwriting?
Will my daughter's eyesight be negatively affected through excessive use of the computer?
How will the school ensure internet safety?
WHAT ARE THE EDUCATION BENEFITS OF A 1:1 PROGRAMME?
- 1:1 programmes extend learning beyond the classroom. With the ability to gather vast amounts of information from the Internet and new media, learning becomes multi-modal and more self-directed
- Networking opportunities extend learning to include peers, parents, siblings etc., making learning a collaborative experience while maintaining the individuality of each girl
- Students who own their own ICT devices are found to take greater pride and ownership over the knowledge they create, with a flow-on to more flexible forms of schooling
- Learning takes place anytime, anywhere
- Students can learn experientially how the various disciplines use technology. Thinking like a scientist, for example, must include learning how technology is used to gather and analyse data
WILL THE USE OF ICT IMPROVE MY DAUGHTER'S ACADEMIC RESULTS?
Research, including that of PISA 2015, has shown that there are modest gains in academic performance as a result of increased usage of ICT for teaching and learning. Given the profile of our students – highly-able and motivated – their academic results are not expected to improve solely because of increased ICT usage. What they will achieve is the ability to function in a world where technology plays a big part of everyday life.
HOW OFTEN WILL THE DEVICE BE USED IN CLASS? WILL IT BE USED FOR ALL SUBJECTS?
All subject teachers, with the exception of Third Language are expected to use the device for teaching and learning. They are required to set learning task for about 30% of curriculum hours.
HOW WILL THE DEVICE BE USED DURING LESSONS?
THE DEVICE WILL BE USED FOR
- Creative expression
- Establishing prior knowledge
- Assessment - formative and summative
Will MY DAUGHTER BE DISTRACTED FROM LEARNING?
The school will do its best to monitor student usage to prevent abuse. Every student will be informed about an Acceptable Use Policy. However, the school encourages personal responsibility and seeks the cooperation of parents in monitoring their children.
WILL THE USE OF ICT AFFECT HANDWRITING?
The need for students to write legibly will not be eliminated. Most assessments will still be pen-and-paper-based.
WILL MY DAUGHTER'S EYESIGHT BE NEGATIVELY AFFECTED THROUGH EXCESSIVE USE OF THE COMPUTER?
Students will not be working on the device throughout the day. They will be engaged in face-to-face interactions for most of the time during each lesson. Students will also be educated on the appropriate usage including ways of minimising negative effects on health.
HOW WILL THE SCHOOL ENSURE INTERNET SAFETY?
While the school monitors Internet access and specific undesirable sites are blocked for Internet usage in school, Internet safety is a collaborative effort between students, teachers and parents.