We are pleased to invite you to our Reflective Practitioner Symposium scheduled on 2 July 2021.
The theme of the Symposium is "Transformative Teaching and Learning: Pursue. Discover. Develop."
The Symposium is organized by the RGS Centre for Pedagogical Research and Learning. Inaugurated in 2014, the biannual Symposium brings together educators from our fraternity to learn together about societal developments which impact education as well as to share good practices.
We have chosen the following strands for this year's symposium:
The keynote speaker is Dr Chen Zhi Xiong, Assistant Dean (Education), Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine, National University of Singapore. Dr Chen will talk about the challenges and opportunities that technology brings to education, highlighting the teaching of values in this landscape.
There will be paper presentations and workshops by educators from both RGS and other schools.
In addition, there will be Masterclass sessions by speakers from the private and public sector with a wealth of experience in their individual fields. These Masterclass sessions enable educators to connect with ideas and perspectives beyond the classroom and to understand emerging challenges, trends and innovations that may impact teaching and learning. The speakers include the following:
- Mr Bilahari Kausikan: Singapore’s Southeast Asian Identity: Why It Matters?
- Ms Cindy Khoo, Director, Strategy and Policy Planning Division, Prime Minister’s Office: Future Trends & Implications for Education in Singapore
- Ms Jennifer Loh, Co-founder of Playeum: Imagining Education of the Future
- Mrs Chua Puay Yin, Master Teacher/ Geography, Academy of Singapore Teachers: Designing a concept-based curriculum
1400 - 1410 Welcome Address by Ms Haslinda Zamani
Principal, Raffles Girls’ School (Secondary)
1415 - 1450 Keynote Address
by Dr Chen Zhi Xiong
Assistant Dean for Education, Yong Loo Lin School of Medicine
National University of Singapore
1455 - 1535 Concurrent Session 1 (Masterclass & Paper presentations)
1540 - 1555 Break
1600 - 1640 Concurrent Session 2 (Paper presentations)
This programme is subject to change
*Participants are to be seated at respective venues by 1350 hrs
**Registration for external participants @ Arrival Plaza (near the Raffles Tree) starts at 1315 hrs
1. Venue: Raffles Girls’ Secondary School; 2 Braddell Rise, Singapore 318871
2. Registration deadline: 31 March 2021. (registration is now closed)
3. In view of the Covid-19 situation, we will put in place the following safety management measures, which will be updated along the way in line with Covid-19 developments:
· The Symposium will be held in the afternoon. There will NOT be the usual Open Classroom sessions in the morning.
· The total number of participants will be kept to below 240. Participants will be divided into 8 groups of not more than 30 people and will be hosted in 8 separate venues. The 8 groups will not intermingle throughout the Symposium.
· At each venue, we will observe the prevailing safety procedures: (i) safe distancing with fixed seating for each participant, (ii) no physical interactions during sessions (iii) temperature-taking at registration and (iv) wipe-down exercise.